Saturday, October 20, 2012

No Fun

So the scan was a bit of an ordeal.  Not because of anything intrinsic to the process - they inject radioactive glucose into your bloodstream and, because you haven't eaten for 6 hours, the body gobbles this up.  Malignant cancer cells are greedier than others and so the scan highlights the radioactive hot spots on your body denoting the spread of the cancer.  Such a simple and elegant approach I think.  But the scan requires one to lie flat on ones back for 20 minutes - and that's when my hernia pain really kicks in.  Originally they had me lying on a bare board but it was unbearable so they had to change this for a softer surface but even so I only just made it.  The fact that the radiographer was counting down the minutes for me was really all that allowed me to endure the pain for the duration.  I cried when it had finished.

The crying was also the result of an almost wholly sleepless night last night too.  I feel a bit better now and, hopefully, tired enough to sleep tonight no matter what.  I'll let you know.

On the plus side my disabled blue badge has arrived and so parking at the hospital was a doddle (and free).  And DD is coming round tonight to watch War Horse.  I don't expect to like it having seen the stage version (quite cleverly done but with a rather thin storyline I seem to recall me thinking at the time).  But who knows, in my tired and emotional state I may end up crying like a girl...  Hey ho.  I'm not too proud to admit I have an emotional side.  And that's all for now my lovers.  See you here tomorrow when I will hopefully be reporting hours and hours of restful, pain-free sleep.  J x


2 comments:

fig said...

Good morning sunshine. I'm hoping that you are feeling brighter today. Every tear should be balanced by a laugh, so you're deserving of a belly-full today. Sending you all my happiest thoughts and smiliest, smiles.

fig

Joolz said...

You've been through so much. Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight. Love from Joolz. X X X