Saturday, October 06, 2012

Inconclusive

So, as ever with these things, I don't take the easy route.

The results from the biopsy are inconclusive i.e. they haven't been able to identify any cancer cells.  Everyone's first thought on hearing this will be "yay, it's not cancer" but hold your horses please.  The doctor says that at the multi-disciplinary team meeting the feeling is still that the most likely explanation of what I have got is lung cancer.  All the other symptoms point to this as does the CT scan I had which shows a "6cm mass".  They just haven't been able to find the actual tumour yet - and no, I'm not really sure why either.

So the next step is to take another CT scan.  This will show any changes that have taken place since the last scan which could be instructive.  Indeed there should be changes because my right lung has inflated a bit since they removed all the fluid from the pleural area.  It hasn't inflated fully - but there's a whole other story attached to this which isn't important right now.  The scan will take place next week and I have another appointment to see Dr Bailey next Friday.  So can we all keep our fingers crossed please?

And that's all I know at the minute which, I agree, isn't really helpful in the scheme of things.  Sorry.

Had a dreadful day yesterday.  Threw up all my chocolate torte in the hospital (sorry Ev - now to be known as the chick with the choc and the chuck!).  Twice.  Luckily I made it to the toilet each time - indeed the second time was in the middle of seeing Dr Bailey.  Then I had a dreadful night last night but my mother forced morphine down my throat this morning (despite all my bravado on the subject I do try not to take it if I can help it) and I've now slept and feel much better for it.

So that's where we are.  I intend taking the rest of the weekend quietly and hopefully will be feeling much better come Monday and can resume visits etc.  Thank you all for your continued support.  It really does help..  And that is all folks.  J x

3 comments:

maggie said...

Hi J
You really don't take the easy route, do you. Sorry not to be seeing you later today but hopefully one day next week? Take care. Love Mx

fig said...

A '6cm mass'? Is that for really, really small Catholics?

And in other slightly indifferent joke news, I am back in the UK. Therefore you may expect me to be beggaring about a visit.

I'm glad of the inconclusive news, it give more room for the positive to emerge.

Fig x x x

Jonathan said...

I think "inconclusive" does leave a small gap for something positive but we should not be under any illusions at to how small that gap is. The doctors still think the "most likely" explanation is lung cancer. Indeed they seem in little doubt about that in their own minds. I personally think that we'll get all the answers we need on the cancer v not cancer debate after the next CT scan. So only need to wait until next Friday. Fingers crossed everyone (and Ev and Sara, keep lighting those candles!). J x P.S. Fig, no "lighting candles" jokes at this point otherwise you won't be visiting...