Thursday, November 22, 2012

Such A Martyr...

... been a tough old (long) day but blogging anyway as I know a lot of you will want to know the details.

So, door to door, it took 11 hours today.  I was actually in Wythenshawe hospital from 0845 until 1830.  The reasons for this long session are (in no particular order) -

*  It was my first visit so there was a lot of background stuff that needed to be covered first.  The Chemo Sister, Lesley, who was looking after me though took her time, wouldn't be rushed and made sure I understood everything she was telling me.  She also checked to make sure I am getting all the support I'm entitled to.  She is a real star.

*  I needed lots of tests done to get a benchmark on Wythenshawe's computers (most tests are currently held at MRI or The Christie - talk about a joined up health service!).  So I had blood tests, an X-ray and an ECG as well as an MRSA swab.  We then needed to wait for the blood test results to come back before we could launch.  In future the District Nurse will do the blood tests the day before I attend Wythenshawe which will save time.

* The "gold standard" anti-sicknes drug they gave me can be done intravenously (remember me and pills?) but of course there was none on site and they needed to track down the drug rep to make sure it was OK to give this to me half way through my treatment (the instructions on the pills say they have to be given a half hour before treatment starts).  It was and they did but it did delay things.

*  One batch of my chemo (no idea how many I had, they hung loads of drips next to me - at least 12 probably) was late coming up from pharmacy so they slipped in an extra dose of fluids.

On the plus side I didn't need a central line (which Bill had to endure in his treatment) so that's a relief.  Its a small, friendly unit with regular staff and customers.  I'm not sure I'd have got that from The Christie.

On the down side, the lovely Debbie doesn't work at Wythenshawe and the X-ray department is miles from the chemotherapy unit.  And my breathing today was atrocious.  Not sure why.  I was probably anxious ahead of the treatment starting (we had to get the X-ray first).  It feels OK now.  Next time I feel like that I'll get a porter and a wheel chair.

On the plus, plus side Denise was, as ever, a star.  She hung around until all my tests had been done and everything had been explained before leaving (not that she wanted to go and she is threatening to stay all day next time but THERE IS NO NEED) and then picked me up when I had finished.  Perfect.

And that's all I think.  I feel tired at the moment but not sick or any of the other side effects.  But its early days yet.  I'm sure it won't be too long before I am once again regaling you with my tales of woe.  :-) J x

3 comments:

maggie said...

Well done on getting through the first treatment. What a long old day though, and another tough day looming tomorrow. Thinking of you all the time. M & P x

Joolz said...

Thank goodness the first lot is over. I do hope the side effects are minimal. I was in North Manchester General Hospital this morning bemoaning the fact that I had to wait around for a few hours. (I'm in the process of trying to get my knee sorted.) It made me feel slightly selfish after reading how long you had to endure. Keep going Jonathan. Love from Joolz x x x

Jonathan said...

Have just tried to publish my first post via my new iPad (oooooh) but Blogger is having none of it. Lets see if it allows me to comment... J x