Monday, November 12, 2012

RIP Bryn

I am so sorry to have to be the bearer of this news but my friend Bryn died in the early hours of Saturday morning.  He passed away peacefully in his sleep, pain free and with his partner and love of his life Michele at his side.

Bryn was one of the funniest, driest, most sarcastic, grumpiest, loyal, dedicated people I know.  He was also one of the cleverest.  If you ever entered a pub quiz then it was Bryn you wanted on your side as it almost certainly guaranteed a win.  He loved his work and he loved his home life. He loved Michele and the girls and he loved his friends.  He was a rock on which you could rely.  I will miss him greatly.

Towards the end Bryn knew his time was severely limited and I last saw him late on Friday night and we therefore had a chance to say goodbye.  I am so grateful for that.  It is one of the hardest things I have ever done.  What on earth do you say?  Luckily Bryn made it easier by being honest and genuine and unafraid and unembarrassed to say what he wanted to say.  He also made it clear that he was ready to go, didn't want to hang around just being ill but wanted to go peacefully and free from pain.  Luckily that is what happened.

Obviously it has made me think about what I want to do when the end comes but now is not the time to go into that.  Today is a time to celebrate Bryn and his life and how he impacted on me (and you).  Please feel free to leave any thoughts and/or anecdotes you want to as a comment.  I'll update with details of funeral arrangements when I have them and I'll update you on my latest news later.  RIP Bryn.  We love you.  J x

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can say that I feel so lucky to have known Bryn even if only for eight years. In those eight years, Bryn amazed me with his knowledge(very Stephen Fry like), caring nature and copius amounts of sarcasm.
Bryn said to me shortly before he passed away that he never tried to act as a father to me, but to be a friend and I am just glad to have been able to tell him just how much more than that he meant to me.
Bryn passed away remaining such a gentleman- continuing to worry about others and being dignified in every way.
It was an honour to see just how much his friends thought of him and I know that this was reflective of what an amazing man he was.
Bryn will be missed by so many people and I am so grateful to have known him.
Bryn- I love you so much. Becky X

Unknown said...

From Téa Obreht - The Tiger's Wife - “In the end, all you want is someone to long for you when it comes time to put you in the ground.” that's what we all need, that's what you did, sorry about your friend. In another quote "we all want to be happy and we're all going to die", so be happy when you can.