Sunday, July 23, 2006

50 Films

I watched "50 films to see before you die" on Channel 4 last night and was rather disturbed to realise that there were a lot that I hadn't seen. For those of you that didn't watch I have reproduced the list below. Those with an asterix are those that I have seen. If you have any of the unstarred films on video or DVD then could I borrow them please? I'd also be interested to know what other people's count is of the number they have seen. I'm guessing but I suspect Jane and Bill will win this particular competition but lets wait and see....

50 Badlands
49 Secrets & Lies
48 Agurre: the Wrath of God
47 Brazil *
46 This Sporting Life
45 Cabaret *
44 Raising Arizona
43 Princess Mononoke
42 Dawn of the Dead
41 Manhunter
40 The King of Comedy
39 The Ipcress File
38 Mulholland Drive
37 The Searchers
36 Fight Club *
35 The Ladykillers
34 The Royal Tenebaums
33 Three Colours Blue
32 Terminator 2 *
31 Scarface
30 All About Eve *
29 Pink Flamingos *
28 Fanny & Alexander
27 The Breakfast Club *
26 Hero
25 Trainspotting *
24 Erin Brockovich *
23 A Night at the Opera
22 Heavenly Creatures
21 Come and See
20 The Player
19 Boyz n the Hood
18 Black Narcissus
17 Walkabout
16 Touch of Evil
15 Pulp Fiction
14 Lagan: Once Upon a Time in India
13 The Shawshank Redemption *
12 Lost in Translation
11 Alien *
10 Manhattan
9 Donnie Darko
8 A Bout de Souffle
7 North by Northwest *
6 2001: A Space Odyssey *
5 Sexy Beast *
4 Chinatown
3 City of God
2 The Apartment
1 Apocalypse Now

Look forward to hearing your scores. J x

7 comments:

newcastlewench said...

I've got Donnie Darko - brilliant film, which messes with your mind at the end. Will pop it in the post.

Jonathan said...

And how many have you seen? J x

NannyOggandGreebo said...

Who makes these dratted lists? Have only seen about 15 of those mentioned. Does that make me some kind of saddo?

What about Casablanca, Some like it hot, Gone with the Wind, Dr No, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - to name but a few.

Fantastic that you're feeling so much better (and apparently looking fairly cheeky, too). Be glad you didn't go to Tatton - it was like being clamped in a giant George Foreman (Forman?) grill. But I did get a wasp-trap and some tinkling bells so all was not lost...
Love
Nanny x

newcastlewench said...

I've seen 7 - none at the cinema, and all but one (Donnie Darko) were on the telly for free. Must show more commitment. Plus to my shame, there are another 4 I've started to watch but got bored of - classics like the Tennenbaums & King of Comedy. I'm obviously lacking something cultural in my makeup.
Re Jane's list, I can claim another one - I saw Battleship Potemkin in May at an outdoor screening in Wallsend shipyard on May bank holiday this year, with soundtrack by the PetShop Boys. It was quite humbling watching a classic in such a huge venue - we were standing on slipways where they do the actual shipbuilding, which was quite humbling, & behind the screen the sun was going down over the Tyne while we watched. It was such a moving experience my feet didn't start aching (it was standing-only) till after the massacre on the steps.
And being Newcastle, the queue for the beer stall was matched only by the queue for the portaloos (and nobody wore a coat).

newcastlewench said...

(Sorry - over-use of the word 'humbling'. Must be something to do with being pondscum.)

fig said...

A measly 11.

Amazed that Carry on Cleo isn't on the list. Surely a five star classic?

Darth Vader said...

I only score 7 which makes me feel very inadequate. Agree totally with N by NW but what about Rear Window? Always a good un for me. AND (and I admit to being very biased on this but..) how can they miss out Star Wars??? Admit that Empire Strikes Back was better but in terms of affect on cinema surely the opening sequence alone shaped many a small boy (and girl hence me) future interest in film / space and I suggest in light of the great soundtrack - music as well.

Anyway I have Ipcress file (think it was a freebie in a ST once and may have Brief Encounter on same DVD - another one surely everyone must see for sheer weight of relationship portayed in things as small as a look or wiping something from someones eyes..) and Lost in TRanslation. Will be winging their way to you shortly

Glad all is well