Saturday, August 17, 2013

Smash

So the first series was pretty rubbish but I'm watching the second series anyway (hey it's about musical theatre and I'm a gay man, it's my birthright) but its even worse this time round.  At least in the first series the singing was confined to the stage (or late night clubs that the actors happened to be in and there was a piano player - you can see where this is going - and it all ended up in some really sophisticated karaoke-fest). But this time the karaoke is happening outside the script.  It's like Glee but in a bad way (Glee had its good points). But I will persevere.  This episode has Jack from Will and Grace in it (and of course Grace is one of the major characters anyway).   I'll let you know.

So I'm on the diluted vodka tonight. OMG Glee, sorry Smash, update: the gay guy is having a crisis. Bet he works things out in the end....  Hero clearly needs a bigger chopper.  Fnar. Fnar. 

So the conference today was.... interesting. The morning session was quite good. Interesting stuff and the workshop I attended came up with some useful stuff but the afternoon: not so good.  It was an impressive conference though. People from 29 different countries.  But bizarrely not one official rep from the Lesbian and Gay Foundation.  And there was an actual professional footballer there (albeit from Ireland). OMG they just mentioned Rent in Smash. Fabaroonie. God I love Angelica Houston. But her fringe is the worst. 

So back to the conference.  There is lots of stuff going on in lots of different places and really there needs to be someone who pulls this all together and gets a movement going across the UK and across Europe.  But that person isn't me before anyone starts screaming and shouting.  I've got too much invested in Macmillan and the homophobia in football stuff needs someone who is going to live a bit longer than I will.  I'll take all my stuff to LGF though and see if I can't start them off on something.  

But I didn't do any of the social stuff.  Partly this was because my shoulder/ribs really hurt tonight (hence the diluted vodka) but presumably this may be related to the fact that I've been sat in uncomfortable chairs for most of the day.  But the fact of the matter is that I'm not at all confident in the company of other gay people. I've no idea why.  Put me I a room full of heterosexuals and I can function perfectly well. But not homosexuals.  What's that all about? I mean answers on a postcard if you have ideas but possibly to my personal email address rather than posting on the blog.... 

What else?  Can't do the whole Peterloo thing tomorrow as I have a film night to prepare for (pick any 2 out of 4 Airport movies) but I will be meeting up with the fragrant Marie to work on the Peterloo poem we're doing together. 

Am now watching Falling Skies which had the potential to be a The Walking Dead but fails and falls short on so many levels.  Bring on the next series of The  Walking Dead....

Anyway, I'm ready for another diluted vodka so ill sign off now. Goodnight everyone. J x

No comments: