Wednesday, October 30, 2013

How Long Have You Got?

This will be a big blog post to make up for the fact that I haven't blogged for a while.  First of all I just need to say that I feel fine.  In fact I feel better than I have in a long time.  No high temperatures, no significant breathing difficulties and very little pain.  So that's all good.  So what have I been up to? Well....

So Wicked wasn't as good as the West End.  Was never going to be but it was a pretty decent show nonetheless but I had to leave at the interval anyway.  It wasn't the show, it was the audience.  The woman next to me kept checking her mobile phone. I eventually told her to turn it off and then she spent the rest of the first act complaining about me to her companion.  There was a row of drunk, middle aged women sat behind us who didn't stop talking and the people in front of us had the noisiest bag of sweets I'd ever heard.  And then to top it all someone in one of the boxes was taking photographs using a flash during the performance.  Of course the management tackled them on this but that just added to the disruption.  I was so angry with it all that I just couldn't go back.  I've emailed the Palace Theatre to complain. Luckily Toby and Gill enjoyed the show and then joined me and Denise in Felicinis after the second act.

Saturday saw the three of us lazing about the flat in the morning (Gill and Toby in their onesies) watching Saturday Kitchen and then it was off out at lunchtime to meet the rest of the team: Richard, Mike, Daniel (with the lovely Sharon) and Liam. Had drinks in Kro Bar (Piccadilly) followed by lunch in Piccolinos. Thence to Alchemist (New York Street) and the bar at Doubletree by Hilton (formally City Inn) where we got into all sorts of arguments with the management about the contents of a "Rum Old Fashioned" cocktail (we eventually got them free).  No idea what time I got home.  Clearly I managed to cook myself some supper because the kitchen was a complete state when I woke up.  

Sunday was a recovery day and was joined by Ms Drury to watch the football. God we were terrible. That second goal by Chelsea was appalling.  Aguerro though remains a angel.  

Monday saw the official unveiling of the new kitchen chez Denise.  And very nice it is too.  I particularly 
Ike the back-lit glasses cabinet although it does mean that those glasses are going to have to be spotless and sparkling at all times.  Had some fizz and some nibbles but didn't go out for the subsequent Indian meal as had bad indigestion.  Have had it for a few days now and am hoping its to do with the antibiotics (which finished yesterday) and so will calm down.  I'll let you know.

Yesterday was lunch with the delightful Lesley and the delightful Jane Kendall (née Aspden) at San Carlo.  I had Fagggotini San Carlo. V nice filled pasta in a mushroom sauce followed by indigestion!

Last night saw me heading off to the Royal Northern College of Music (tout seul) for a concert by Michael Nyman. He was delayed coming on stage by 45 minutes (no explanation) which would normally annoy me so much that I wouldn't enjoy the show (I am turning into Victor Meldrew) but he completely won me over.  The show was sublime.  And I defy anyone to find a nicer piece of music than the theme to the Jane Campion movie, The Piano.

Today have been for a Macmillan meeting already and then I'm out to the cinema with Gill this evening to see Captain Phillips - the Tom Hanks movie about Somali pirates.  I'm not normally a Tom Hanks fan but the trailers look good and it's had some decent reviews.  I'll let you know.

And that's all for now.  Sorry for the long gap.  J x

No comments: