Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wandering Afar

So. Went to my new office in Warrington yesterday. Yes, still sporting a huge black eye but luckily (for me) none of my new trainees were in the office so they didn't get to see it. Unluckily (for them) where the hell were they? I can see I'm going to have my work cut out for me there... Of course, all my fellow Business Learning Managers (who I'd gone there to meet) got to see the eye but then they probably need to know what sort of person they're getting as a colleague. And I'm sure a few of them aren't strangers to the dangers of having one (or 6) too many!

Last weekend went to The Library Theatre on Friday with Saint DD and a few others to see Great Expectations directed by Neil Bartlett. It was good and the staging was inventive but it wasn't as good or as inventive as his Oliver Twist a couple of years ago. On Sunday went to The Lowry with Gill and Jim to see The Wizard of Oz which wasn't that good to be frank. Again, saw this a few years ago in Leicester where it was done very well and The Lowry production suffered by comparison. But to be honest it wold have suffered even without a comparison. There was one notable exception - Lorna Luft (the daughter of Judy Garland as some of you will know). She was playing (oh irony of ironies) the wicked witch of the west and was excellent. Head and shoulders above everyone else in the cast.

Otherwise its been a quiet week (not a single drop of alcohol) and looks like being a quiet weekend ahead. Shopping with Saint DD this morning and then not much else planned. The builders are getting on well and their standard of workmanship appears fantastic. Unfortunately they keep turning up stuff that the other builder cocked up and needs putting right (we've had to virtually rebuild the en-suite for instance to stop leaks and patch up bits he'd just left undone). I thought I'd protected myself from all this by having some designers to project manage everything but you live and learn. Its going to cost me more but what can you do? Its not enough to make suing anyone worth the hassle or expense. Anyway. Ma and Pa are in London this weekend to see Mum's sister (Jane's Mum) who had the stroke. There is currently no change in her condition but I'l let you know more when I know more. That's all. J x

No comments: