Sunday, September 24, 2006

Oh What a Circus, Oh What a Show

Manchester Airport: nightmare. An hour just to get through security. And you had to take your shoes off. Why?

Arrive in London (plane delayed 20 minutes or so taking off), get to hotel only to discover, when attempting to take painkillers, that the syringe I've brought with me is the wrong type. Go to Boots over the road who say that they don't stock them. I should try the pharmacy at the local hospital. Get a taxi to Guys & St Thomas' (second oldest hospital in London), go to the pharmacy and turns out they don't stock them either. They suggest contacting the nutrition and dietetics department on the 1st floor. Trek to said department only to find everything locked up and closed. On the off-chance knock on the door which is answered by the sweetest dietician one could ever hope to meet. She explains that she doesn't have the exact same syringes as I use but she does have an alternative which works just as well. She then up and gives me three syringes free and gratis without me having a prescription or anything. We like her. The weekend gets better from now on.

Don't do anything Thursday night (the search for the syringes was enough). Friday morning meet up with my aunt and uncle and go to the Tiffany jewellery exhibition at Somerset House which is fantastic. Once the Aged Ps and aunt and uncle have lunch we then go to the Jameel Room at the V & A which is also fantastic. Friday night went to Evita. Much better staging than previously and the woman playing Eva Peron is superb.

Saturday morning is spent on an open top bus tour of London which was half good. Because the guide we had for the first half was excellent but the guide for the second half was rubbish. Aged Ps went off for lunch at Livebait and thence home to Swansea (they arrived safe and sound) whilst I went to meet Sarah. Having dumped my case at Sarah's we went to the Hockney (excellent) and Kadinsky at the Tate Modern (not a fan) where we met with Donna and had drinks (me, fizzy water) and a good gossip. In the evening Sarah and I went to The Ritzy (Brixton's local independent cinema) to see the new Almodovar film which is also superb. This morning Sarah took me to see the Brixton windmill (closed) and then drove me to the station to get to Gatwick extra early because of the security queues. There weren't any! And the plane was delayed by half an hour.

Anyway, I'm home now and absolutely knackered. So I'll sign off here and post again soon. J x

No comments: