Sunday, April 28, 2013

I'm on a pub crawl. On a train....

Thursday saw me and Lesley off to see the 20th anniversary tour of Rent.  In Manchester for one night only.  The place was packed with squealing drama students but not in a bad way.  It just meant they were really up for the show which was good as usual.  Just one or two niggles - they had some issues with the sound and lighting at times but nothing serious.  My main concern was that they'd mucked around with the Christmas Song.  Only the best song ever in the show.  It didn't need no tweaking.  The cast were superb though.  I particularly liked the woman playing Joanne.  Lesley enjoyed it too.

Friday was coffee with Michele at Rylands for a catch up.  Good to see her and she, bless her, had made me 6 (yes count them) lasagnes with accompanying garlic bread (I know. Garlic. And bread). Thank God there was room in my freezer on account of there being no vodka there. Incidentally saw carer in chief yesterday and remonstrated with her about the fact that I'd been left with no vodka.  She however informed me that we're on a break...

Thence to The Rising Sun to say farewell and good luck in your new jobs to Gordon and Jane.  Lesley and I trotted off to The Midland later to meet with carer-in-chief and Michelle for proper (vodka based) drinks. Lesely went home early and the rest of us then did a tour of local Italian restaurants looking for one with a table free (Triple dip? No chance). Eventually settled in Croma.  Not been there since before my first cancer.  And very nice it was too even though I ate Denise's food and she ate mine.

Yesterday was the aforementioned pub crawl on a train starting in Chester at around midday and then stopping at various pubs near stations on the route back to Manchester. I think I lasted for about 6 or 7 pubs before I had to retire tired and emotional.  The others proceeded on until they eventually had a curry in Hale.  I enjoyed myself though.  Got home and cooked myself one of Michele's lasagnes and very nice it was too. Luckily this made just enough room in the freezer for me to pop in a bottle of Absolut that I'd picked up at Sainsburys on Manchester station... :-)  All is now right with the world.  And that's all for now. J x

No comments: