Sunday, March 10, 2013

Priorities People

So I blog about cancer activism and ending homophobia and not a peep from anyone in comments. However, as soon as I mention Bonnie Tyler and Eurovision things start kicking off.  I blame the coalition....

But anyway.... So the cancer conference was good. Lots of goodwill from some incredibly clever and talented people who genuinely want to do the best for patients (or "users" as we're called - could be worse, could be customers: actually I don't mind the use of the term "customer" but that's a whole other debate). They are also, properly to my mind, concerned with value for money and efficiency. I hope I brought a touch of realism to proceedings e.g. When the Director of Nursing stated that nurses wanted to do a brilliant job I pointed out that there were a large group of nurses who actually didn't care whether they did a brilliant job or not.  I pulled the Director of St Anne's Hospice up on a statement she made (but don't worry, I checked afterwards that it would still be OK for me to go there!). I felt like I added real value.  I even got interviewed for a Macmillan DVD... Plus I think I've been co-opted onto the Strategic Programme Management Group which sounds like a whole lotta fun :-) My next meeting is on 10/04 (don't know where yet) so I'll keep you informed. I'll be ending homophobia on Tuesday next week.

Michele came round last night to trial run her canapés. That woman is super-talented in the kitchen and the canapés were fantastic.  We also watched Argo on blu-ray. Fab film. Deserved the Oscar. We then watched a programme on BBC4 about New York Rock Gods. All the usual suspects, Lou Reed, New York Dolls etc but also Antony Hegarty which seemed a touch incongruous to me.  I love his voice though and maybe need to do a little background research on him.

Quiet day today - more kitchen cupboard cleaning if I can be bothered. Followed by a mock interview to conduct later. DD will also be taking part so I'm expecting questions on how HMRC solves its post-room problems.... :-) That's all for now. J x

1 comment:

fig said...

A note on ending homophobia ... When you get to it on Tuesday, could you have a word with Her Royal Majesticals. Seems she's urging the Commonwealth to be nice to 'the gays'... Except she wasn't allowed to say the word 'sexuality' in her statement, so I'm a bit lost as to why she bothered.

just sayin...