Friday, August 18, 2006

Colonic Irrigation

There. I've said it. And having said it I want to let you know I'm considering it. Let me explain why.

At the risk of unleashing Holy War II I'm going to refer again to the book that Denise loaned me. Despite the "miracle" in Chapter 1 of the author surviving her extreme chemotherapy I thought I'd finish the book whilst I was in Swansea. It turns out that little of the rest of the book deals with religious matters. Rather it deals with the controversial Gerson diet. The chap who invented this claims it can cure cancer as does the author (and as does Prince Charles apparently). To follow this diet one has to first detoxify one's system. One does this by ingesting nothing but fruit and vegetable juices for 3 weeks whilst giving oneself coffee enemas (I kid you not). Now I know that I'm missing coffee whilst I can't swallow but even I am not desperate enough for a caffeine rush to pour the stuff up my arse!

Anyway, anyway. After these first three weeks one follws essentially a vegan diet whilst ingesting truly vast quantities of vitamins intravenously. Needless to say the British medical establishment is less than impressed. So I don't think we'll be doing that. However, reading the book did make me think. I don't suppose that anyone is going to harm themselves by following a diet that minimises animal fats (i.e. meat and dairy products) nor is anyone going to harm themselves by ensuring they have a clean colon so that one's body is able to absorb all the required nutrients from one's diet. So that's what I'm going to attempt to do but not in any killjoy way. I've no doubt that I'll still consume some meat, cheese and milk but I'm going to try and cut down. And I'll also have the occasional colonic irrigation (always assuming the experience isn't too unpleasant). I'll let you know how I get on once I've checked with Caroline that it's all OK. If anyone has any particularly delicious vegetarian recipes then I'd be delighted if you'd let me have them (either on here so that everyone can try them or in the post or whatever).

Fianlly, I'm feeling fabulous today. J x

1 comment:

NannyOggandGreebo said...

At the risk of being thought cynical, I do wonder how much weight can be placed on the opinions of the Madman of Highgrove. Of course, a healthy diet can do nothing but good, and I'm pretty sure your colon must be pristine by now. Quite how one manages to give oneself a coffee enema is beyond my wildest imaginings - and please don't send me a DIY book on the subject!
As you will see from our recent messages, an enema is the last thing any of our group would consider at the moment.

And so you are feeling fabulous today - that's wonderful. And all the treats you have lined up for yourself sound exciting, too. Hope you continue to feel stronger and more energetic each day so that you can soon have your peg removed and resume normal eating.

Lots of love
Nanny x