Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Where We Are Now

Me first. Saw Dr Yvonne's registrar today (accompanied by the lovely - and svelte - Michele). The X-Ray doesn't provide a clear enough picture of what's going on - it could be radiation fibrosis (from the radiotherapy I had a few weeks ago) or it could be the cancer growing. So they're going to give me a CT scan to get a clearer picture and have given me an appointment in 4 weeks time (Xmas Eve!). They'll call me in if there's anything we need to get worried about.  The next anti-PD1 trial starts in January so I should expect to start receiving treatment then. So that's mostly good - especially as they gave me a shit load of morphine and told me I could, more or less, take it as often as I like. The only downside is I have to take a laxative at the same time since morphine bungs one up somewhat apparently.  Incidentally, can anyone recommend a decent laxative? The one I have on hand - Laxido - tastes foul.  Ta.

Now my Mum.  She's not doing too well. Pain, fatigue, breathing difficulties, loss of appetite and other "classic" cancer symptoms are conspiring to make life really tough for her.  Not helped one iota by being in hospital.  Luckily they have decided to discharge her on Thursday on the grounds that there is nothing more they can do for her in hospital.  Which is good news in a way as I'm convinced she will get a bit better once she's home.  Certainly Dad and I will do all in our power to make sure that happens. And even if she doesn't improve physically her spirits must improve by being home.  Dad has arranged all the necessary equipment - hospital bed, special mattress, wheelchair etc - to be provided at home and, indeed, it is in place even as I type.  Well done him. I'm going home Thursdy and will play it by ear as to when I come back to Manchester depending on things like the CT scan etc.

So there you have it. I'll be up and down the M5/M6/M4 quite a lot in the next few weeks.  Catch me when you can. That's all. J x

No comments: