Sunday, June 17, 2007

Reporting In

So, to a conference (the first National Direct Tax Confeerence)at the British Library on Wednesday. Went down on Tuesday afternoon and stayed with Sarah Tuesday night. We got stuck on the Victoria Line when there were signalling problems which was quite unpleasant in the heat but not too bad as Brixton (where she lives) is the last stop on the line so we didn't have to fight our way through crowds to get off. Incidentally, if you buy an Oyster card all the fares on the tube are a lot cheaper (its £4 from Euston to Brixton without one!) so its worth investing I think next time I go down. The conference was interesting for the most part - apart from the message that we're becoming friendlier and more customer focussed so we all have to hug a taxpayer from now on...

I had an hour to kill after the conference so I went into the Library itself (which I've never visited before) and went to their Treasures room. And what a mind-blowing experience that was. I saw the Magna Carta - yes, the actual Magna Carta. In fact, I saw 2 of them (there were 4 originally apparently). And if that wasn't enough I saw pages from the notebook of Leonardo da Vinci, the first ever Shakespeare publication, a letter from Queen Elizabet I. Amazing stuff. In fact I was so distracted that once I'd got on the train (and turfed the interloper out of my reserved seat - he had some choice words to say on the subject I can tell you)I poured my coffee all over the woman who sat next to me. She wasn't very happy. But she just sulked for the rest of the journey.

Wento to see Pirates of the Carribean on Friday night. It is very long but not too long I don't think. I enjoyed it. Saturday morning was the gym - the first time in about 2 months but since I'm now over 12 stone and looking a little chunkier it was about time. Saturday evening was Kiss of the Spiderwoman at The Lowry which was brilliant. I'd never seen the film (or the musical, or read the book) so it was all new to me. Not terribly sure if it had a point to make but it was interesting with some unexpected twists and turns.

Sunday afternoon round the shops with DD. Ostensibly to buy her a rug, a coffee table and a curtain pole. Needless to say she didn't buy any of these things but I bought a suit! 2 operas this week - The Magic Flute with DD and then Rigoletto with Mrs T on Friday. What fun! J x

3 comments:

littlebabes2 said...

J,
As you seem to come down South quite often, can we meet up sometime. I would like to see you before I gain any more laughter lines. Nothing intellectual though! I would even meet for a Starbucks! It's ages since I've seen you. Will have to jiggle my work schedule, as I work weekends, as well as weekdays. Not all of us who live in the South are well off! Let me know if you want to slum it sometime.
Ann x

NannyOggandGreebo said...

I'm glad to say that there is more action on your blog than in the whole of The Tatler, Cheshire Life and, yes, we must add Vogue, and any paltry reality show.

I was a little perturbed, however, that you have taken to throwing coffee over random women on trains. Is this a new trend, or was it just lousy coffee? Tell us all.

Lots of pointers for things to do while visiting to London later in the summer. Can you just ramble into the British Library or do you have to have some initiation ceremony? Again, tell us all.

You do remember recommending the Primo Levi book for our next meeting, don't you (which I hasten to remind you is on 19 July at The Market restaurant)? Have just bought a copy and feel that my intellectual capabilities will be taxed up to the hilt.

Anyway, just a reminder that Armistead Maupin is visiting Waterstones on 11 July 7pm for a chat and signing copies of his latest book. Also Harry Potter party there at midnight on 21 July - can't remember if you like HP but the latest book is on our list for August.

ALSO Kylie The Exhibition is at Manchster City Art Gallery from 30 June-2 September!!!

Whoopee!

Nanny x

newcastlewench said...

Re your Magna Carta moment. I remember when I lived in London they had an exhibition at Southwark Cathedral about Anne Frank and I went out of vague interest, and was stunned and overwhelmed to see Anne Frank's diary - her actual diary. You think "anne Frank's diary, yeah yeah huge historical significance awful tragic events, I know all about it" but I'd kind of not realised that it was an actual diary, a real book, which a little girl wrote in. It's very small, less than A5 size, cloth covered. Very humbling.

Unlike you, however, I didn't celebrate the moment by giving some poor bystander 3rd degree burns. If ever a long-distance sulk was justified, it was hers.