Monday, November 13, 2006

Mash & Daal

Sunday lunch was a bit of a disaster. I thought I'd made the mash quite runny but even so as soon as I put it in my mouth it was like trying to eat sawdust. It just felt so dry and once it was at the back of my throat trying to swallow it was virtually impossible. So after much choking I had to throw it away. Did manage 2 beers though - I'm down to about a beer an hour now.

Had a lentil daal for tea tonight. I heated it in a saucepan and added water and then pureed it using my new hand held blender. It was, I think, about the same consistency as the mash yesterday (although I used a spoon to eat it I could have easily used a fork) but for some reason it was much easier to eat and I managed to finish it all. Hurrah. Progress.

Watch this space for further pureed culinary delights.... J x

1 comment:

newcastlewench said...

Your body obviously has bad memories of school mash and is trying to reject it. Listen to your body (and ignore your inner dinner lady).

Would jars of baby food be ok? When the boys were little Heinz did a scrumptious pureed pudding in a jar which I used to buy then eat myself in front of the telly. I think it had raspberries in. And of course no added sugar.

Another thought from my young-mum days: mashed banana. You have to mash it to death to get it to break up properly, but once mashed it slips down deliciously. Or you could rough-mash it with a fork then do it with your hand-held with a drop of milk.

Strangely, I never gave my babies curry. But then, you're responsible for your own nappy so it doesn't matter!

j xx