Sunday, January 16, 2011

Retraction

In the previous post I say "sorry if anyone is offended". Actually, I'm not sorry. Its just a bunch of guys kissing and there is absolutely nothing offensive about that at all. And if you are offended then you probably shouldn't be reading this blog anyway. So there!

On a more conciliatory note I have decided to include a link to the text of President Obama's speech in Tucson. I read it and it practically moved me to tears. I think this will go down in history as one of the most important and passionate speeches ever made. Please take the time to read it and share your thoughts with everyone else. (it doesn't show up very well but you just need to click on the word "link" in the paragraph above to be taken to the speech).

That's all. J x

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/01/tears-and-rain/69545/ and here is Michael Chabon's Measured response

Jonathan said...

I agree that watching the speech - rather than reading it - made for a different experience. I too found the clapping inappropriate: this was not a celebratory moment. However, I rationalised that the audience was American and not used to my English/Welsh reserve. And as annoying as the President's clapping being picked up by the microphone was, it added a human dimension to a politician's speech - not everything was running smoothly. And although I don't believe in heaven (as far as I am concerned it was an 80s disco where I saw Grace Jones and Divine live whilst dancing next to Kenny Everett) I really don't care whether other people do. If it brings them comfort, fine. Just don't get into bed with me and tell me what I shouldn't be doing... I liked the speech. That's all. J x

Kathryn said...

Thank you so much for posting this link. I had heard one or two excerpts on the radio and they had not "grabbed" me as I am not a big fan of his speaking style. The text is beautiful though - very moving, very inspiring. Thank you.