Saturday, January 08, 2011

Les Mots D'Origine

So I'm sat here listening to the original concept album for Les Miserables in your actual French. Its really interesting because its very recognisably the modern Les Mis we all know and love and yet quite different in many ways (even apart from the fact that it is in French). Sadly some bits are better and some bits are dreadful so I'm never going to be able to look down my nose at anyone and say things like "well actually, I prefer it in the original French" which is of course one of the main reasons for purchasing the concept album in the first place. Tant pis (as I'm sure Fantine warbles at some point). Incidentally, the French have no-one to match the great Miss LuPone.

So this week has been interesting. I've been ill for most of it but struggled into work for a series of short days until I succumbed by Friday and took some personal time (officially "time off in lieu" or TOIL but I've decided to go with the Americanism "personal time" from now on just for the hell of it and because it will probably drive DD to distraction). She's been around all week. She turns up just as I'm going to bed and has snuck off before I get up in the morning - yes, its the cricket. Still its been nice to find her here on those nights when I've had to get up to throw up or do drugs or whatever. Feeling better now anyway so should be fit as a fiddle by Monday ready for a busy week.

Have decided I will go to Portugal this year. Have also decided to go to London with the Aged Ps for my Dad's birthday in February and will purchase tickets for Les Mis for his present (its what he wants and I don't mind at all as I love the show - this will be my 4th time). No-one well known in it at the moment though. But its such a strong show that as long as they can hold a tune they'll be fine.

DD has purchased me a beautiful orchid to apologise for making me watch so much cricket which was nice of her. She'll be popping around tomorrow for our start on Series 1 Mad Men (she bought me the box set for Xmas) and some of my delicious home made soup. Which I've yet to make. Better get on then.... That's all. J x

No comments: