Friday, October 01, 2010

Cornwall Round-Up

Well, I liked Cornwall although there's not a whole lot to do apart from beaches and gardens. The visit to St Ives was nice though and I can now say that I have done all four Tates. Any of my readers have this claim to fame too?

Was a bit disappointed in the Eden Project. My own fault really as I was hoping it was something it wasn't. Had I read up on it properly beforehand I would have known it was all the sustainable living and aren't we being cruel to our planet so we should all sit in the dark and eat hemp mumbo jumbo that I can't abide. The Biomes were cool though and some of the planting was nice. But I much preferred Heligan which was more garden-y and therefore more up my alley. Trouble with Heligan was that it rained on that day. Still it didn't spoil our walk through the woods and the Lost Valley nor the Jungle area. All of which were fantastic. It did mean we had the place to ourselves though which was nice - apart from the Gardeners World crew who were filming in the Melon House. The formal and kitchen gardens were also nice but not at their best at this time of year.

We also visited one other garden - Pine Lodge. Not a great name admittedly but they did have a Pinetum which was fantastic. They also had an extensive Winter Garden which was just starting to come into its own. Apart from all this we also visited Fowey which is just unnaturally picturesque.

The cottage we were staying in was nice although the beds weren't big enough so consequently no-one slept brilliantly.

Came back to Manchester yesterday (a day earlier than planned) as the forecast was dreadful for today - and looking out the window I'm not sure I'd have liked travelling today. Plus I'd have got caught up in all that Ryder Cup shenanigans... Unpacking, washing & cleaning today. What fun. Have some planting and terrace-tidying to do tomorrow when the weather is, apparently, going to be nicer. That's all. J x

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Hilary and I read this post together as she was up here for the weekend, and we howled with laughter at your description of the Eden Project. An eco-warrior you are not! Glad you enjoyed it, we'll be down that way at the end of the month.