Sunday, March 04, 2007

Phil Lethby

My friend died on Friday. His name was Phil and I met him when I first started working for the Revenue in 1993. We dated for a while but not for long. I like to think that I helped a bit in allowing him to come to terms with his sexuality. Back in the days when I first started in the Revenue Inspectors had their own offices (none of this open plan nonsense) and Phil used to come in a talk to me for ages - so much so that my DI at the time had to give me a ticking off. Phil and I stayed in touch on and off following my departure from Brighton office and, in fact, I think he was a contributor to this blog in the early days. He certainly sent me some cards whilst I was in hospital and going through treatment. He was diagnosed with Hepatitis C about 10 years ago and lived quite happily with the disease for a while but over the last couple of years he had some long spells of sickness. He died on Friday from multiple complications - they don't know exactly what yet. He was in his mid 30s which is far too young for anyone to die. I'll miss him. Rest in peace honey. J x

3 comments:

NannyOggandGreebo said...

Oh lovey, how very sad and upsetting. There's no comfort to be had, or given, at times like this.
Nanny xx

NannyOggandGreebo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darth Vader said...

Sorry to hear the news. Its true what they say about only the good dying young. But your words are a lovely tribute to him and he must have been a special guy to have friends who think that way of him. I lost my best friend at 21 and the only thing, the ONLY thing about that that doesnt stink is that even now 15 years later there are still many of us around the country who think of her often, in her mini skirt or her wig, wish she were still with us and be thankful that we knew her when we did.

x