Wednesday, March 29, 2006

How Many Teeth Does a Boy Need Anyway...

Another long day at the hospital and its only just lunchtime! Had head shaved this morning (at the barber's rather than the hospital) in preparation for weeks without shampoo. Then round to DD to see how she is getting on with her ears (she goes into hospital this week too). She'd misplaced her mobile phone which is akin to losing a limb for DD but major panic avoided when it turned up. Then off to hospital for - doppler tests (all OK apparently although it sounds as though they may take an artery from my arm as well as some skin - need to check this out). Then blood tests (huge queue). NHS staff not very good at customer service skills methinks. Then to Head & Neck Surgical Unit (guess what, no bed) so got prepped for tomorrow in the day room. Then off to dental hospital where it turns out that I need to have 6 teeth out rather than 3 otherwise I run the risk of developing jaw bone necrosis (I think). It didn't sound very nice so I agreed to lose the teeth. Also, can't have dentures in apparently as I won't have enough saliva after the radiotherapy. On the plus side, I may develop cheekbones and "...plenty of people manage with just 10 teeth...".

Then back to the flat to update you all out there in cyber land before returning to MRI this evening - and still no idea what ward I'll be on. Unlikely to be HNSU though as they've no-one to discharge. They'll be your first port of call though if you're trying to trace me. Next post likely to be Friday so have a good rest of the week everyone. J x

No comments: