Thursday, July 07, 2011

Good News

So thank you one and all for your good wishes and sorry if I haven't got back to you yet. I will do.

The God that is Sean has pronounced me to be "signed off" at the 5 year point. I am immensely grateful to him, to the NHS (well, some of them), my friends, HMRC and especially my family and special friends for all that has been done for me over the last 5 years. You have all been fucking brilliant. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

However, it seems I shall be attending the Christie now on an annual basis. For this I have my father to thank. He refuses to believe that it won't come back. Thanks Dad! To be fair I do draw some comfort from the fact that will be going back once a year. And hello, by the way, to the lovely Debbie who, despite not being able to get up in time to see me in the hospital, did give me a ring when she had crawled out of bed at about midday...!

Was treated to a lovely meal at The Alchemist tonight by my chums DD, Lesley and Gill (thank you guys, I had a lovely time). Did get a discount but not on drinks. And frankly, 20% on our food bill is almost not worth having whereas 20% on the drinks bill would be a substantial amount of money. My thanks go to Steph for sorting this out though.

And that's all for now. I'm happy. Bloody hell for the NOTW stuff. Goodnight. J x

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Congratulations! From another five year survivor, I know how sweet that feeling is.

May I also heartily concur with young Fig's point about the cohort of blog readers (dare I say camp followers?) you've accumulated. Your blog is one of the good things to come out of having cancer, and I really do passionately believe it's part of a changing narrative of cancer. Usually, dealing with cancer focuses on the immediate treatment, but what I hope my blog and yours definitely demonstate, is that surviving cancer is about far far more than that and after effects can be varied, life long, emotional and physical. You've also demonstrated very well that cancer survivors are not just there to be put in a box marked "brave" or "victim" but are out there getting promoted, gardening, drinking too much and generally getting on with things without waking up each day feeling vaguely heroic. Though that helps sometimes. Hope some of this makes sense - basically, I think it's important to normalise cancer survival.

NannyOggandGreebo said...

Congratulations, sweetheart. And your dad's idea of going for an annual check-up is a sound one.

I love the idea of being a 'camp follower', Kathryn. and I totally agree that Jonathan's blog should continue for as long as he has news to impart - and he always has news to impart, doesn't he??

And opinions, too - so come on, old dear, keep telling us like it is!