Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fantastic Day

Great to see Sarah. I miss her old hair though. But she looked lovely and summery in her blue polka-dot dress. And God was it hot. Thanks God for high end shopping and its air conditioning. The Louis Vuitton store was a little disappointing. Given that we've waited for about 2 years whilst they were refurbishing it I'd expected a little more. Some of the mechanised displays were cute though. Did manage to squeeze some shopping in - phew - Gucci, Miyake and Tiffany. And then off to the RA Summer Exhibition which just totally blew me away. What an absolutely brilliant, brilliant show. The hanging was just excellent and the quality of the art was just stupendous. It was my first time and I'm just really annoyed I haven't been before. But will definitely be going next year and every year from now on. The gorilla made out of wire coat hangers was a stand out piece as was the cat in a hat picture and, oooh, just too many others to mention. A nice touch was that the chap who lives opposite my Mum had his picture accepted and I saw it hanging. He'd sketched his idea on an envelope for my Mum so she now owns a valuable piece of original art - which she's very excited about. We had lunch at Dover Street Market (which is the world's trendiest shop) but the broccoli & stilton soup was just a little thick for me. We got kicked out of Vivienne Westwood because I was drinking water. And we sat in the sun in Green Park for half an hour or so. Got home exhausted but satisfied at a day well spent.

Have woken up this morning with no power - for some reason my underfloor heating in the bathroom is causing my trip switch to trip (discovered after hours of turning things on and off and seeing what happened) so now I need to find a bloody electrician.

Football today. DD is going to Barbirollis to watch. Might join her just for the experience - I'm no longer torn as to which country I want to win (I had Slovenia in the office sweep).. That's all. J x

2 comments:

fig said...

Gosh it sounds like you are having a fabulous time. I am in Bath having been bought here for a surprise weekend by Mark. The weather is fabulous but sleeping in the heat is hard n'est pas?

So glad you got 'chucked out' of V. Westwood ... couldn't have you asked to leave anywhere less classy could we? I bet your indignation was high, didn't you use the cancer card? Should have got a snazzy belt at the very least.

Strange coincidence that Solvenia was your team ... I got them in our work draw as well.

Apparently England play Germany today ... but we are going to the Roman Baths for a rub down with a centurion or something.

Jonathan said...

Of course I played the cancer card - but it was over my shoulder on the way out. I hope the snotty little queen bitch shop boys feel suitably guilty. As a comfort, I did hear the other day that VW's design team are refusing to work closely with Vivienne any more on account of her "personal hygiene issues" So to "snotty little queen bitch" we can add "smelly" too!

Surprised you didn't comment on the Miyake shopping - have we forgotten all our treasured phrases or sayings already? I only bought socks there - albeit orange socks (you'll remember my current orange fetish) - but I was wearing my Miyake jacket which I bought (as Karen will remember, forever ago in Bergdorf Goodman in New York) and the shop assistant in London recognised it and came up to me and said "lovely jacket". How classy is that? And fabulous too. Only happened once before with my Prada leather where one of the assistants in Harvey Nichols came up to me and stroked my jacket because she remembered it! That's all. J x