Sunday, November 15, 2009

Busy Weekend

Friday night was opera at The Lowry. I wasn't expecting great things - firstly it was Opera North and secondly the opera was sung in English.I don't generally like opera sung in English because I think you spend more time listening to the words and trying to understand every word they say to the detriment of just appreciating the music. However, I needn't have worried. The opera was sublime - even with the last minute substitution of the person singing Ferrando. The libretto was also really well done and the whole thing was funny as well as beautiful. And the acoustics at The Lowry are very good.

Saturday night was less successful - The Entertainer at The Royal Exchange. Its always difficult to watch a play written in the fairly recent past. Its not long enough ago that you are able to suspend your disbelief and yet the whole moral setting is completely different to modern times. Of course if the acting and direction isn't up to much it makes it even more difficult. I didn't like it. It may be worth me watching the film with Sir Larry though just to see what its like done professionally.

Tonight I'm having tea at DDs whilst watching Doctor Who which looks really exciting. And then back to work. That's all. J x

No comments: