Thursday, July 16, 2009

It was the Best of Times

Well, (not that) young Figgy has been and gone. The festival has been well and truly "done" with just a final Bach recital remaining for Saturday.

The weekend kicked off on the Friday night (without Fig) when DD, Bryn, Michelle and I went to "It Felt Like a Kiss" on Quay Street. It was quite literally a completely unique experience. I won't go into too many details here because Jane and Bill are going tomorrow and I don't want to spoil it for them. but it was interesting, exhilarating and very very terrifying. They'll have the time of their lives I'm sure.

Fig arrived via a delayed plane on Saturday night and on Sunday we had a walk round the shops and then off to the Bach at the Manchester Art Gallery - a cello recital. And very good it was too with no fire alarm this time. Off down Canal Street afterwards for one or two vodkas... Some time the following day we emerged, blinking into the sun! Monday night was the Royal Exchange for Everybody Loves a Winner - a combination of theatre and bingo. A combination which, it has to be said, didn't really work for me although everyone else seemed to enjoy it. And my opinion has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I was waiting on one number for the £200 jackpot. Off to The Midland for one or two vodkas afterwards... Some time the following day... (well, you're starting to get the picture here). Tuesday night was Prima Donna the Rufus Wainwright opera. A really fabulous evening hob-nobbing with the celebs (Rufus himself, Neil Tennant and Alan Yentob to name but three - in fact the only three we saw but I'm sure there were others there too - anyway, we all looked so good we were almost like celebs ourselves!). I loved the opera although they need to sort the surtitles out. Afterwards to The Midland for... (again, I'm just repeating myself here).

Back to work Wednesday and then Liverpool this morning for the Leadership Team Meeting (always fun!). And that's us up to date. Awaiting the builder (again) but no news to report on that front at the moment. Hope you are all well dear readers. That's all. J x

7 comments:

fig said...

I'd like to thank you and Denise and Bryn and Michelle for a great weekend. The shows were great, the hospitality unrivalled and the vodka martinis plentiful. Manchester was gorgeous, the streets were spotless and even Mr. Sun came out to say 'hello'.

Best of all I swapped phone numbers with Denise and we have been swapping tests about you ever since. I didn't know you had a parallel career as a topless waiter, and a dog with a limp and two daughters. You Dark Horse.

Jonathan said...

Neigh....

Anonymous said...

doh you big softie twasn't scary at all not even when I was locked in on my own..I figured the next batch would have to come through sometime..the last door would not open I pushed and pushed and I ran my hands flat along all the other walls in the dark thinking I must be mistaken that that wasn't the door after all...eventually I heard the staff resetting the turnstiles ..hello I called out should I be here?..whose that they said..I got locked in ..oh sorry they said and lead me down the last corridor with none of my limbs sawn off...some girls did bail out after the chainsaw but it was just funny really...but wasn't this the most fab thing ...I opened all the drawers smelt the clothes ran my fingers through everything scanned al the book titles read all the letters open all the filing cabinets..ate the waffles on the dinning table they smelt soooo good...talked to the masked girls and boys and empathsised with them..loved the film hall with the ribboned roof and the fans ...just the fifties sixties cool of it all ..the crystals and pillowtalk ...I want to go back in daylight so i can see the photos ...two hours just whizzed by ...

Unknown said...

Jane what are you on? Fig how are you Glad you enjoyed Manchesta.

Is it raining with you? we have had rain a plenty and my 19 Century roof is ok , my 1980's roof is not so good! but hey ho. we cannot all live in splendid roof top apartments.

\glad you are on good form Jonathan looking fwd to seeing you soon...will you be available for coffee on sat 1 Aug say 11 ish?

Lots of love the T's + mc spotty xxx

Anonymous said...

Sorry just festival fever ...it felt like a kiss ...a physical and emotional experience ...

Jonathan said...

Should be OK (at the Ts). Am off to the Tatton Park fireworks concert late afternoon with the lovely un-scareable Jane & the lovely-but-was-he-scared Bill. I think DD would like to see you too. J x

fig said...

k