Sunday, May 20, 2012

Catch Up

So its been a busy week, as ever. Was in London on Tuesday to get some training for the Civil Service Fast Stream Mentoring programme. It was fun but was astonished by the number of people there in their twenties, fresh faced from University and yet already working with Ministers and the like. Clearly the HMRC graduate-entry programme is somewhat different to the usual fast stream programme. No regrets though... Was out at B&M's for dinner on Friday but unfortunately Bryn was quite unwell (now feeling better thank God as he had us all a bit worried) so we didn't do a lot of New York planning. Never mind, plenty of time. DD and I caught the tram home in the pouring rain. Then off to Leeds yesterday for a garden party at Sarah & Hugh's. It was looking good when I set off because it was so sunny in Manchester I had my sunglasses on but by the time the train got to the other side of the Pennines it was grey and cold and miserable. Had a good time at the party anyway and met some lovely people and caught up with others I hadn't see for a while. Also watched their nesting box live feed (they cost about £200 apparently) which was quite exciting... for a while. Think I'd rather spend my money on a shirt which, coincidentally, was what happened yesterday morning. Lovely Madras check shirt from Gant. Unfortunately I managed to dribble chocolate from the chocolate fountain all down it! Memo to self: marshmallows will never feature in your list of manageable foodstuffs... But I did manage to catch sight of Caitlin Moran in Harvey Nichols. I'm a big fan of hers but luckily managed to restrain myself from going up to her and gushing like a chocolate fountain. Also saw a gorgeous jacket in Calvin Klein Collection. The bad news is it costs £795. The good news is that Harvey Nichols has a 50% off sale on Wednesday and the jacket is in it. Not sure I'll be buying though (these are austere times after all - memo to Fig: please do not add a comment detailing the price of clothes I've purchased in the past - that was all long ago and far away). We'll see. Aso this week had the pleasure of watching Salford Amateur Operatic Society's show "60 Glorious Years". Which was a trip through all the musicals they've done over the past 60 years since they were formed. All of them. 60 years. In a church hall. In Eccles. But very excited about booking tickets for Jesus Christ Superstar at the MEN in September. Some bizarre actors involved (Chris Moyles as Herod? Melanie C as Mary Magdalene?) and I understand that Mr Lloyd-Webber will be doing one of his TV search for a star things to find the person to play Jesus. But I think the musical should work well in an Arena. Its a big show with a big story and big music. I'm particularly ken to keep an eye out for the "leper-acting" (you'll understand that comment Fig). Finally, cannot sign off without mentioning the sad loss of Donna Summer. All gay people of my generation will understand that my love for her music is not without complications. She found God and said some stupid things about AIDS but her music was era-defining and she kept going for a long time. I'm sad she's died. That's all. J x P.S. Her dancing wasn't always the best.... :-)

1 comment:

fig said...

1) No comment about the price of clothes, though it'd be nice to see the Pony Skin Coat getting an airing again.

2) I bet there will be some sensational leper acting and with a cast like the one being assembled perhaps there will be some celebrity lepers? Anne Widdicome mayhap?


3) Echo you re: Donna Summer - a bit late for me gay-wise but loved her tunes and have a very fond memory of you and me in Amsterdam waiting to hear the remix of I Feel Love (you were otherwise engaged when it finally played ...)