Thursday, November 25, 2010

Been Doing Stuff

So, the Aged Ps have come and gone. We had a good time that encompassed shopping (my Mum got a new winter coat), a new favourite best restaurant (out goes Felicinis and in comes Ego), a trip to the Imperial War Museum (Dad really likes it - and so do I), a trip to the Lowry galleries (I really liked the 60s photo exhibition) and just generally spending time together. Low points were my Dad's cough, him falling over (no permanent damage) and my Mum offering to dust for me half an hour after arriving!

Otherwise I've been to my Book Group (virtually no-one had read the book - some Margaret Attwood thing and I won't read her after being scarred - as opposed to scared - by The Handmaid's Tale), seen the new Harry Potter (really liked it, the best so far) and am off to the union dinner tonight (Felicinis again). Tomorrow is the Lowry for Slave (apparently not a story of some bronzed demi-god, oiled and in chains) and a Baroque music evening at the RNCM on Saturday. Busy, busy, busy. That's all. J x

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw Slave at the Lowry last night, it was absolutely amazing. It was so moving, because you knew it was a real person's experience, not just fiction (I had read reviews of Mende Nazer's book before), then during a particularly evocative and moving scene in the first half, depicting her capture by raiders, I heard sobbing from the stalls. Mende herself was in the audience! I got to meet her afterwards, she is the most amazingly gracious, cheerful and warm-hearted woman, so gentle with no apparent bitterness. How could a person survive so much hatred and persecution and yet still be so positive? She made me feel different about my stupid problems. And she made me laugh :) You have to see this play, it will really blow your mind, break your heart and change some of your thoughts. M xx

Jonathan said...

Um, actually I found it to be naive, cliched and a little boring. That is not to belittle anybody's experiences but rather a criticism of the writing which was simply not very good frankly. That's all. J x