Tuesday, August 18, 2009

London

Had a great time. Met up with Fig at the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square on Saturday. The guy on top of it when we arrived was running a bingo game. God only knows why. Then some woman took over who was conducting a silent protest. No idea what for as her banners weren't clear enough to read!

Off to the V&A for the Telling Tales exhibition - fantasy furniture is the best description. It was really good though with some very interesting pieces. After that to Hyde Park and the Serpentine Gallery to see their new Summer Pavilion - very good, very serene - and then into the gallery itself to see the Jeff Koons exhibition. Really good and great fun.

Then back to the hotel for a rest followed by a couple of VMs in the hotel bar before heading off to the theatre. Sister Act is a fantastic show (somewhat let down by a poor script that doesn't make the most of Sheila Hancock who, incidentally, was the first Mrs Lovett in the West End) and the lead, Deloris, is just brilliant. A real star of the future. The set is really clever too. We then met Tina & Dan, 2 friends of Fig for more martinis in a bar called Detroit. They're very nice and we had a good time.

Sunday was less successful as I tried to go shopping on Bond Street only to find it was closed. Couldn't believe it. Ended up going to Selfridges on Oxford Street and buying 2 pairs of socks! Not my most successful shopping trip ever. To redeem myself I did manage to pick up a jacket in Liberty on Monday morning before heading back to the North. Travelled First Class as dead cheap (£34) but the disadvantage of this is that every Tom, Dick and Harry travels First Class too. Bloody families everywhere. Hey ho. Back in Manchester now and off to work today. Hurrah. That's all. J x

3 comments:

NannyOggandGreebo said...

I'm surprised you and Fig weren't booked to go on the plint yourselves...or would your VM have got spilled on the way up?

fig said...

Ah t'was a fun weekend. I drank enough vodka to stun a pony. I was actually drunk when I woke up on Sunday. Haven't done that since I was a student. Not a Good Thing. Bad Fig.

Sister Act - so much promise, such a poor script. You didn't mention Ian Lavender - who worked his comedy socks off to wrangle laughs from a gag free book. Yep the songs and set are stunning. But -Dear Readers - go and see something else instead. Or a good Panto.

The 'Mad Furniture' exhbition was fabulous. But why can't we take photos? Eh? eh? It is just daft. I took some anyway wiv' me fone. Has the sky caved in? Are Artists the world over now broke? No.

I also touched a Koons sculpture (I agree that was naughty), but I cold not believe they were aluminium and not blow up toys - so realistic.

Actually the Koons and the mental chairs were my favourite bit of the weekend. (that sounds just a little bit racist when you read it out loud)

'Koons and the Mental Chairs' - that should be the name of my cabaret troupe.

Jonathan said...

...starring that well known drag queen, Tammy Flu. J x