Sunday, December 21, 2008

Its Been Ages

I know, I know. Sorry. Its been a busy couple of weeks. To start with some good news, well done to Kathryn who has just passed her 4 year milestone of being free of the Big C. I'm dead chuffed for you (to use the Swansea vernacular). Also some good news chez moi, I went back to Christies to get the results from the biopsy of the bit they cut off my lip just before I went to London. Having sat in the waiting room for 2 hours whilst they looked for my notes (!&+**@!) I had a 5 minute consultation to be told that it was a "viral warty thing" (sometimes I just get completely lost with all this technical jargon) and nothing to worry about. Phew.

Jane's funeral was lovely (as funerals go). Anne did make it (albeit in an ambulance and she was in a wheelchair) but I'm sure it was important that she was there. I understand that she hasn't improved greatly since but I believe this may be the way of things with strokes - it takes your body a long while to understand and deal with what has gone on and you need to sleep a lot in the weeks following it happening. At the funeral Murray (Jane's husband), Robert (her brother) and 3 of her friends all spoke. Its an incredibly difficult thing to do (as Robert will no doubt attest being completely unable to say the last sentence of the words he'd prepared) but it makes such a difference. We heard about Jane from the people who knew and loved her in a way that was much more personal instead of a vicar just blithely repeating what they've been told and mispronouncing names etc. The chapel was lovely (but very cold) and the graveside was muddy but then I imagine they always are. After tea and sandwiches in a local hall it was back up to Manchester. I'm glad I went.

And what's happened since then? Well there have been drunken nights out. Christmas shopping, decorations and wrapping presents. There has been a Chinese meal book group at which I discovered I can eat peppers (yay). I've also been to the cinema to see The Day The Earth Stood Still -one of the worst films I have ever seen (it fails on every level). Denise and I have also been given free tickets to Panacea for New Year's Eve (normal cost £25 each - double yay).

I'm in work tomorrow and then its back to Swansea on Tuesday until the 29th and then back to Manchester for the new year and preparing for the new job. Really looking forward to Xmas - it seems like ages since I spent time with the Aged Ps (just looked in the diary and apart from the brief get together at the funeral not since the end of August). That's ages. I'll no doubt post from Swansea over Xmas but in the meantime:

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all my readers. That's all. J x

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Thank you, and likewise for your VWT - I love these complex terms! Enjoy a large Vodka Martini and here's hoping that Dr Who is better than last year's Christmas special - have a good one.