Saturday, December 06, 2008

Hairspray

Well I was all prepared to be disappointed by this show on account of the fact that I was informed when I arrived at the theatre (note, not when I purchased the ticket) that none of the lead performers (apart from Michael Ball) would be appearing. And whilst some of the substitute leads were weak (particularly Tracey and Link - who was blonde: what was that all about?) the show has such a fantastic score and is such a warm hearted show that I was won over by the end. I would like to go and see it again with the proper leads though. And I have to say that Michael Ball - who I don't normally rate - was excellent as Edna. Afterwards went to One Aldwych for a martini or two. Very nice.

Today have spent mostly shopping on Regent Street, New Bond Street and Dover Street. Needless to say I've spent a fortune but have some very nice shirts/jackets/suitcases. Tonight is the South Bank Centre and Donizetti's Parisimina. No idea what it's like or what its about about but its the London Philharmonic so it should be good.

Some good news about Monday too (in the sense that there can be any good news about a funeral) It sounds as though my aunt (Jane's mum) may be able to attend the funeral in a wheelchair. Fingers crossed that this is possible because although it will be very very sad and upsetting for her, its also a necessary part of the grieving process. I'll let you know how it went when I'm back in Manchester. That's all for now. J x

No comments: