Monday, October 20, 2008

Hola

Well, we survived the journey out. Take some advice from me, don't ever travel overnight by train. Its a nightmare. The bunks are really small, really uncomfortable and really close together. I didn't sleep a wink. However, things got better once we reached Madrid. The apartment was really nice and really central. The TV didn't work but since we'd probably only have got Spanish TV anyway it didn't matter too much. On the cultural front I went to the Prado, the Reine Sophia, the Teatro Espangnol, Saint Miguel and the cathedral at the bottom of the street (can't remember the name). The Prado was a little disappointing. Velasquez isn't all he's cracked up to be when you're up close and personal although Tintiretto made up for this a little. Equally, the Reine Sophia. Guernica is, of course, fabulous and all the related sketches and photos of the development of the picture is fascinating too. But I don't like Dali. And Spanish galleries are so badly designed. They don't flow at all and you end up spending half your time retracing your steps. The Teatro was fantastic though. We saw Sweeney Todd. In Spanish. And it was fabulous. I thought Sondheim was all about the words but he's not. The music is really good too. And the others liked it. The cast were just out of this world. I went to Mass at the cathedral (I'd never been to one before) but it was a bit disappointing. Just one bloke and a nun. No choirs, no thuribles, nothing. What's that all about?

Otherwise we spent a lot of time shopping (a shirt and a tie) and drinking (too many to name and I can't even remember half of them) which was a lot of fun. Coming home, Easyjet was surprisingly good but that the fact that they'd switched our airport to Liverpool was a pain. But here I am. Safe and sound and back home. Work tomorrow. Goody. That's all. J x

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I can't agree about Velasquez ...though our rokeby venus at the national is my favourite ...and goya you don't even mention and el greco bebs where were you looking.

Have been burgled so am forced to spend yet another day at home entertaining glossops finest police force...why do they all look so familiar and yet again in my dressing gown ..

Unknown said...

What? they were wearing your dressing gown does this not interfere with DNA samples etc? Seriously Jane & Bill sorry to hear about the burgulary.
I have to agree with Jane about Velasquez, Goya and El Greco.

Anyway hon, sorry that we could not coincide on my recent visit. So glad you had a great time.Thanks for the info on the bunks...there's no hope for the fatter ones amongst us if you thought they were small.

Speak soon

The T's xxxx

fig said...

Welcome back you euro-hopping-art-fiend.

Glad you had a nice time. My news is that; 1) both my parents are now retired (as of Friday 24th), 2) I'm seeing a hypnotherapist to help me calm down and sleep, 3) I went to hospital yesterday to have steriod and local anaesthetic injected into my groin (ouch) and ... 4) oh yes ... you and I have spent so long not buying tickets to see 'Marguerite' that it has closed ... early. Apparently due to the credit crunch, but I blame that Ruthie Henshall, she's a curse.

Jonathan said...

That woman is a curse. But also rather good so lets not be too harsh. And also, lets not forget that she was cruelly denied the Olivier for Chicago by that foreign bint Ute Lemper...

Anyway, sorry to hear you're under the Doctor. Is it the new job? Don't worry about the show. We'll sort something else out. How do you fancy a trip up the road? Place is still not finished (will that ever happen?) but I know you don't mind a bit of rough (sleeping) from time to time. Will eventually get round to sorting out New Year Pantos soon as am currently canvassing opinions on theatre going from various chums. Watch this space. J x