Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sweeney

Was good. But not that good. Imelda Staunton is a complete star and hugely enjoyable in the show and Michael Ball isn't too bad either. But the set, direction and supporting cast are poor. Not up to West End Standards I'd say. Which is a shame as I am a Sondheim-ite as I'm sure you all know. My favourite production of this remains the show-on-a-shoestring production I saw at The Lowry where there was no orchestra (the cast payed instruments on stage as required) and Sweeney was played by, wait for it, Jason Donovan. I know!

The Hoxton hotel is fab though. Both uber-trendy and comfortable at the same time. My perfect combination. Lots of local shopping too so will have to plan carefully tomorrow as I also want to do Selfridges, Dover Street Market and Bond Street.

Two martinis at One Aldwych before show tonight but it was very very busy (had to sit at the bar. I know!). That's all. J x

No comments: