Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Weekend

So. What a fantastic weekend. Journey to London on Friday was fine (first class since cheaper than standard - bizarre) and met up with Sarah & Donna with no problems. Thence to Tate Modern for 1) Rothko - fantastic. He's a very powerful, emotional painter and you really have to see his stuff up close to appreciate it. 2) Some other exhibition by some unpronounceable South American bloke (or woman?) who is more of an installation artist. Not usually a fan of installation art but this was exceptional. Very hands on and very immediate and scary. Would take too long to explain it all here but buy me a drink and I'll wax lyrical. Back to Donna's for soup and beer with Rudi and Leo. Slept very comfortably on the sofa bed and the following morning it was off to Tate Britain for the Francis Bacon exhibition. Again a very powerful painter who is not at all "easy" but who repays viewing in the flesh. My only criticism of the show is that the paintings are behind glass and one gets reflections which can be a little distracting. Following all the art it was down to Eastbourne for a little relaxation.

Is there anywhere more relaxing than Eastbourne? A town where a vodka martini is as elusive as anyone under the age of 40. Having stormed out of the Eastbourne Grand (Sarah really must stop dressing like a prostitute) we eventually were lured into The Cavendish by the twinkle of a rather impressive chandelier. Thank God we were (motto: never doubt a chandelier). Young Peter made us cocktails until his fingers bled (literally) and a very enjoyable evening was had by all. The following morning we went for a really nice walk along the seafront and then I hopped on the train for Brighton. Checked into The Hilton and then off to meet Fig for an afternoon of drink and drag. 2 shows and not a small number of beers later we parted company having spent many a happy hour in our old haunts. Back up to Manchester the following day and a sleep in my own bed. Hurrah.

Off to Solihull tomorrow and Friday with work - about 50 of us apparently, including some people I used to work with in Brighton. It will be good to see them again after all this time. They won't recognise me though (last they saw me was before the cancer so it'll be interesting to see their reactions. I'l let you know how it went when I get back. That's all. J x

2 comments:

Rose LaGrange said...

Hi Jonathan
I've been trying to contact you since I heard about your illness. Hope you remember me? I'm Christopher Berry's friend Angela Rogers from Llanelli. I'm still in the same house in Llanelli with Barry (The Bros older brother lookalike-remember him?). I've been medically retired since November 2006, won't go into it here as it's a tale longer than "Gone with the wind". Chris gave me your e-mail address but you just kept deleting them...you probably did know it was me...!!!
How you doing now? I admit I came across your blog by accident so I haven't had time to read it all as my neck is now killing me..!!!
I'd love to hear from you, we have some recent events in common.
Night, night or is it good morning?
Love Angela XXX

Jonathan said...

Course I remember you Angela. Last time I talked to Christopher - which admittedly was a long time ago now - he mentioned you. How are you? And what is your e-mail address that I keep deleting? Post here and I won't "publish" your response so that you don't end up with loads of cranks getting in touch (honestly, you should meet some of my friends!) J x